Water Treatment Services In San Diego
Living in an arid region means San Diego’s water must travel long distances to our homes. As water travels over or under land, it dissolves and picks up naturally occurring minerals like calcium and magnesium. As a result of the long-distance travel, our water here in San Diego is extremely hard and heavily chlorinated.
The heavy mineral and chlorination, along with the ongoing threat of water shortages, makes choosing the right water treatment solution for your home and family more important than ever to maximize your water conservation and ensure your family’s health.
Water Filtration Options for Your Family
The water filtration experts at Anderson Plumbing, Heating & Air can test your water and show you its level of minerals and contaminants. After testing and talking with you, we can determine the best water treatment solution for you and your family.
You can consider the following water filtration options for your family:
- Under-the-Sink Filter: Perfect for filtering water for a particular faucet, an under-the-sink filter will remove bad taste, odors, and chlorine, and eliminate having to drink from water bottles. It does not remove minerals from the water.
- Whole-Home Activated Carbon Water Filtration System: This whole-home system provides quality water from every tap in your home, filtering out contaminants and chemicals.
- Whole-Home Activated Carbon Plus Anti-Scale System: This includes the above whole-home filtration system while adding an anti-scale system to remove minerals from your water. It eliminates spots and scale buildup on glasses and dishes. Your clothes will be cleaner and last longer, and your skin and hair will feel less dry and silkier. Less soap is needed to get a full lather, and all your water appliances benefit from extended life.
Let Anderson Plumbing, Heating & Air guide you to high-quality water with huge health, cleaning, and longevity benefits for your family and home. We expertly install water filters and water softeners in San Diego and the surrounding areas. Our professional plumbers can also maintain and repair water filtration and softener systems.
Benefits of a Whole-Home Water Filtration System
There are many significant benefits for San Diego homeowners in installing a whole-home water filtration system. Here are some of the benefits of a dual filtration and softener water system:
- Removes Chemicals: While city tap water is usually “within tolerance,” many people find they enjoy health benefits from drinking only purified water with chemicals like chlorine removed. Fluoride is added to water to strengthen our teeth, but some studies suggest that even these mild amounts of fluoride can negatively affect young children.
- Provides a Better Taste and Smell: Purified and filtered water simply tastes and smells better.
- Removes Harmful Bacteria: Even in “clean” tap water, thousands of bacteria and microorganisms are floating around. Water filtered for microorganisms is safer for consumption.
- Keeps Necessary Vitamins and Minerals: Filtering water keeps the good parts in and the bad bacteria out. Some of these vitamins and minerals include magnesium and potassium.
- Removes Heavy Metals: Studies have proven that heavy metals are very harmful and negatively impact our health. While these metals are within tolerance levels for the city, removing them entirely can only be positive.
Contact Anderson to learn more about the benefits of installing a whole-home water filtration system in San Diego.
Benefits of a Whole-Home Water Softener System
We call it “hard” water when it has a lot of dissolved minerals inside it. When the minerals have been removed, it is referred to as “soft” water.
The minerals removed from hard water aren’t actually unhealthy for you. They do, however, have a huge impact on your home. Softened water benefits include:
- Soap Lasts Longer: Hard water minerals significantly reduce the effectiveness of soap. This means all soaps and detergents need extra ingredients to neutralize the minerals, and you have to use more soap than you really should. When soap is used with softened water, it lathers up easier, less is required, and it leaves surfaces cleaner.
- Silkier Hair and Skin: Minerals get lodged in your hair and skin and leave it rougher than it otherwise would be. Hard water acts as a soft exfoliator, so you might need to pick up a new exfoliation routine if you’ve always ignored that step with hard water.
- Clothes Last Longer: Hard water minerals are kind of like an extremely high-grade sandpaper sanding away at your clothes every time you wash them. It takes a long time, but it’s still scrubbing your clothes with tiny coarse minerals. Clothes last longer when only washed with soft water.
- Plumbing and Appliances Last Longer: Hard water is “hard” on your plumbing and appliances. Minerals and scale build up on your pipes, hoses, gaskets, O-rings, and other surfaces that water touches. This puts stress on your plumbing and appliances (like your water heater) and shortens their service life spans.
Water softening systems have more benefits and can even start rolling back time on scale-encrusted pipes and appliances. As soft water moves through your plumbing system, it dissolves, picking up scale and minerals from your pipes and appliances. The first 30 days after installing a water softener clears out the majority of your system, but some homes take as long as 90 days to get all of it.
Contact Anderson Plumbing, Heating & Air for a quality whole-home anti-scale installation in San Diego.
California Water Reports and Statistics
The state of California mandates that water utilities provide consumers with a comprehensive annual Drinking Water Quality Report with details about their water treatment and water properties, as well as updates on their water infrastructure.
The report has contact information for a variety of water utility and conservation organizations. These reports are available online at the City of San Diego Public Utilities Water Quality.
Included in these drinking reports is the measurement of water hardness. Water hardness is measured by grains per gallon (gpg). Soft water measures 0 to 3.5 gpg; moderate: 3.5 to 7.0 gpg; hard: 7.0 to 10.5 gpg; very hard: over 10.5 gpg. Typically, water from San Diego’s treatment plants exceeds 12 gpg and averages about 16 gpg. (per City of San Diego Public Utilities Water Reports).
Frequently Asked Questions
How many times have you thought about breaking the bottled water habit? Whether you’re just tired of hauling bottled water into the house, sick of the expense, or trying to be more environmentally responsible, these are all solid reasons to break the bottled water habit.
– Remove bad taste and odors
– Reduce known and unknown impurities in your water
– Enjoy great quality drinking water
– Eliminate your dependency on bottled water
– Extends the life of your appliances – less corrosion
– Cleaner laundry and less spotting on glasses and dishes
– No tank swaps or media changes for up to 10 years!
Scale is the corrosion you see around your faucets and showerheads, creating buildup in your water pipes. You may also see this corrosion on the dishwasher, washing machine or ice maker connections.
Many people mistakenly assume water filtration systems will also address the scale issue. Once upon a time, the solution was known as water softeners. This involved two tanks, frequent changing of the softening agent etc, etc.
Today, the preferred solution is an electronic Anti-Scale System, which eliminates scale from faucets and fixtures and removes pre-existing scale from pipes. And these environmentally friendly systems are relatively maintenance-free!
– Eliminate scale from forming on faucets and ﬁxtures
– Extend the useful life of water-using appliances
– Improve energy efficiency of water-using appliances
– Remove pre-existing scale
– Environmentally friendly
– Clean-up is easier – no hard water calcification on surfaces!
Health is a call away
Bring the benefits of filtered water to your home! Contact Anderson Plumbing, Heating & Air today.
Schedule Your Service Today
No matter what your issue, we’ve got the solution for you. Schedule service with our trusted experts today.
Need Emergency Service?
Don’t wait to get help during an emergency. Connect with a live operator now for immediate support.