Tax rebates make now the time buy a new hot water heater
Federal Tax Rebates
You can save receive a tax rebate up to $1500 for the purchase of qualifying water heaters.
- Qualifying Gas, Oil, Propane. Water Heaters must have Energy Factor greater than or equal to 0.82
- Qualifying Electric Heat Pump. Water Heaters must have same criteria as ENERGY STAR: Energy Factor greater than or equal to 2.0
Local rebates through SDGE
SDG&E® offers rebates on qualifying ENERGY STAR® natural gas and electric storage water heaters.
When purchasing a new water heater, choose an energy-efficient model. A water heater’s energy efficiency is rated by its Energy Factor (EF) – a metric that rates energy performance.
- $30 rebate on Gas Storage Water Heaters (30-gallon minimum. Must have an EF rating of .62 or higher)
- $30 rebate on Electric Storage Water Heaters(30-gallon minimum. Must have an EF rating of .93 or higher)
Water heating is typically the second largest energy expense in your home, after heating and cooling.
- Gas water heater costs account for as much as 16% of the average utility bill.
- Electric water heater costs account for as much as 33% of the average utility bill
- If your gas water heater is more than 10 years old, it probably has an efficiency level no higher than 50%, which means that a lot of that energy is going to waste.
- Replacing your old water heater with a newer energy-efficient model should result in a lower monthly cost. For example, a 40-gallon gas condensing ENERGY STAR-rated water heater with a .62 EF can save about 25% on water heating costs.
If you have any questions we’re here to help.Call (760) 313-6896 today!